Planning consent was granted in June 2013 for a major development on the Western Heights and Farthingloe in Dover by China Gateway International.
The Western Heights is a prominent location with stunning views over the Port of Dover and English Channel to France. The site includes historic fortifications dating back to the Napoleonic wars, but these are largely hidden and inaccessible to the public. The plan aims to unlock the potential of this site and includes:
- A hotel and conference centre
- A Museum/Visitor Centre at the Drop Redoubt
- Up to 31 residential units and the conversion of an existing building to 9 units
Farthingloe sits in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty on the outskirts of Dover. The site was formerly used to provide temporary accommodation for workers during the construction of the Channel Tunnel.
The plan provides for:
- Up to 521 residential units
- A 90 apartment retirement village
- a health facility
- conversion of a thatched barn to a pub/restaurant
- conversion of a stable block to a retail shop