'Invest in Dover' at UK's Premier Property Trade Show
Dover District Council, the Port of Dover, and Discovery Park, the UK’s most successful Enterprise Zone, are taking the ‘Invest in Dover’ message to the UK’s premier trade show at London Olympia from 15-17 October 2014. Attended by investors, developers, local authorities, occupiers, hotel groups, agents and business service providers, MIPIM UK is a unique opportunity to promote Dover to a UK and global investment audience.
The exhibition comes at a key time with a wide range of outstanding investment opportunities joining together across the ‘Enterprise Coast’. The Dover district will undergo a period of significant change over the next 12 years as transformational plans to build a more prosperous district with more jobs, improved housing, and a wider range of local facilities come to fruition. The plans include:
- 10,100 new homes in the Dover district by 2026 and 14,000 in the longer term reflecting its ‘Growth Point’ Government designation
- £120m initial investment already committed at the Port of Dover for Phase One of Dover Western Docks Revival, which will include a new cargo terminal and port-centric distribution facility supporting over 600 jobs, plus potential marina and mixed-use waterfront development
- The delivery of 3,000 new jobs at the Discovery Park Enterprise Zone with significant funding and incentives to attract new businesses
- £50m town centre transformation with development of 120,000 sq. ft. of new retail and leisure space
- £40m Betteshanger Sustainable Parks situated on the site of the former Betteshanger Colliery, this landmark development will combine sustainable business & commerce, sustainable education & sustainable energy & tourism.
As well as promoting investment opportunities the ‘Invest in Dover’ stand will also highlight the area’s excellent transport links, affordability, and lifestyle. The introduction of high speed trains in 2009 marked a step change in the district’s infrastructure, creating new opportunities for inward investment and bringing the Enterprise Coast within one hour of London. Planned major expansion at the Port of Dover, Europe’s busiest ferry port and handling £89 billion of trade each year, will further cement Dover’s position as the ‘Gateway to Europe’.
Cllr Paul Watkins, Leader of Dover District Council, said:
"I am delighted that we’re working in partnership with the Port of Dover and Discovery Park to promote opportunities to ‘Invest in Dover’. Investor confidence in the district is high, with new housing developments underway, exciting plans to maximise the potential of the Western Docks, and strong tenant demand for the outstanding facilities at Discovery Park. Our plans to transform Dover town centre are attracting strong levels of interest as retail and leisure investors look to rebuild their portfolios following the recession."
Tim Waggott, Chief Executive, Port of Dover, said:
"MIPIM provides a great platform to demonstrate the shared vision and momentum being created in Dover between the Port, the town and the district. Our major investment in Dover Western Docks Revival, one of the most significant developments in the region, is ripe for promoting to one of the most important gatherings of investors and developers in the UK. Furthermore, with historic news that we have just been granted additional powers to deliver even more, we now have the ability to play a bigger part than ever before in the regeneration of Dover.
"Dover Western Docks Revival brings huge potential for the Port, its customers and the local community, protecting long term port capacity, unlocking the ability to develop and grow a thriving cargo business whilst delivering a waterfront transformation that has been described as the catalyst for Dover’s wider regeneration. Alongside other exciting plans for Dover, this creates a unique opportunity to build ‘Destination Dover,’ creating a new golden age for those living in, working in and visiting this incredible place."
Paul Barber, Managing Director, Discovery Park Ltd, said:
"We’re seeing exceptionally strong demand for facilities at Discovery Park. We already have over 100 tenants and 1,600 employees, with more projects in the pipeline. We’re delighted to be attending MIPIM alongside the council and port to promote the wide range of investment opportunities at Discovery Park, from laboratory and office space, warehousing and manufacturing facilities, to bespoke land development. With significant funding and incentives for businesses both large and small, we’re expecting a busy three days! "
Notes to Editors
- For more information on the ‘Invest in Dover’ campaign see www.investindover.co.uk or visit us on stand E25 at MIPIM UK.
- MIPIM UK takes places at London Olympia from 15-17 October 2014
About Discovery Park
- Discovery Park is Europe’s leading science and technology park, based on the outskirts of Sandwich, Kent.
- The park is an Innovation Cluster where companies and organisations are encouraged to work together and share information.
- Providing world class facilities, Discovery Park has attracted a host of international companies from the life science, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, science and technology sectors.
- Facilities include research and development laboratories and specialist niche manufacturing facilities, commercial office space and warehouse solutions.
- Discovery Park benefits from being Enterprise Zone status.
About the Port of Dover
Posted on 14/10/2014